Item Search
     
BG-Wiki Search
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 87
  1. #61
    HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    37,884
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

    I just hope SE gets these rewards right, cause the waking the beast rewards were all kinds of fucking terrible.

  2. #62
    Impossiblu
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,445
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

    assuming you mean the way of acquiring them, but there were some good pieces there. ifrit's bow, leviathan's couse, and shiva's shotel come to mind. the pole was the best staff smn could wear for melee too iirc

  3. #63
    Yoshi P
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    5,360
    BG Level
    8
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

    Considering the effort/manpower required to obtain them (plus terrible drop rates), they were pretty mediocre. Shotel was obsoleted quickly once they started adding real end game swords for blu, and even before that it was pretty meh due to it's terrible delay. Bow gave you a grand total of +1 str over easy to get alternatives.

    The most compelling items to come from the event were a spear for sam|war and a melee smn staff lol.

  4. #64
    Impossiblu
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,445
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

    polearm was extremely strong at 75, not sure what the lol is about

  5. #65
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    23,594
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    iirc the dagger was 2nd to Mandau if you could activate the lantent but for tons of jobs that normally didn't get good daggers. Even after they added some other good swords shotel was the tits with shiva out... I even made a janky set where I rocked out as a blu/smn to keep the latent up. Mitts were awesome in a time when smns had hardly any fast cast and I don't think any in hands

    Also gotta remember that a lot of them were designed to get a huge boost from the avatar in a day and age when people rarely brought smn to an event and if they did it was usually in a mage pt. Given smn can be useful in a melee pt now weapons with similar avatar boosts could be decent... assuming the DDs all used the same weapons lol

  6. #66
    Campaign
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6,633
    BG Level
    8

    3 categories? Uhm... with 3 separate timers?
    I won't say no to that.
    In that scenario I think we would kinda reach the point where SMN is constantly BPing and no time left for anything else (thinking about previous discussion concerning subjob to nuke during idle times).
    MP would kinda become an issue unless you have a BRD ballading you lol
    Can't say I wouldn't like the idea but at the same time I don't really see it happening.

    What I can see happen, altough I'm not sure on the time frame, is:
    1) New BPs for all avatars
    2) SMN skill reworking, higher influence on old BPs (Earthen Ward, Noctoshield etc) and more clarity on the SKill > Macc/Acc conversion ratio.
    3) Favour reworking

  7. #67
    Campaign
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6,633
    BG Level
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    assuming you mean the way of acquiring them, but there were some good pieces there. ifrit's bow, leviathan's couse, and shiva's shotel come to mind. the pole was the best staff smn could wear for melee too iirc
    Polearm was the best PA Sam could equip too, and back then SAM using PA still kinda mattered in XP pts and Nyzul Isle and other content as well.
    Was kinda broken for easy content like that.
    Second best was Tomoe from Armed Gears, iir.
    Not sure if it was any good for DRG though... doubt it was the best.

    I could agree with the effort/ratio thing though, it was indeed a LOT of effort, especially at level 75.

  8. #68
    Impossiblu
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,445
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

    Common misconception, polearm was good for almost everything

  9. #69
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    23,594
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Yeah only reason I managed to get it done at 75 was because after shouting for 5 hours the group of 15 smns decided to take any semi useful mages. And even then it took another 6+ hours to do what with travel sucking so bad back then and people afking long time before even starting to go to next one and some people leaving midway thru. And then all we got was scythe and club I think

  10. #70
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    13,293
    BG Level
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    Common misconception, polearm was good for almost everything
    As long as "everything" had complete shit for DEF....

  11. #71
    Campaign
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6,633
    BG Level
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    Common misconception, polearm was good for almost everything
    I used it quite a lot with better than expected results, compared to the situations where people were claiming PA had to be confined to.
    In this sense I agree with you.
    But I still remember quite a considerable amount of content where you couldn't reach the necessary levels of attack/-def to make PA better than an Hagun/Amano.

  12. #72
    Old Odin
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,198
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    Quote Originally Posted by Sechs View Post
    3 categories? Uhm... with 3 separate timers?
    I won't say no to that.
    In that scenario I think we would kinda reach the point where SMN is constantly BPing and no time left for anything else (thinking about previous discussion concerning subjob to nuke during idle times).
    MP would kinda become an issue unless you have a BRD ballading you lol
    Can't say I wouldn't like the idea but at the same time I don't really see it happening.

    What I can see happen, altough I'm not sure on the time frame, is:
    1) New BPs for all avatars
    2) SMN skill reworking, higher influence on old BPs (Earthen Ward, Noctoshield etc) and more clarity on the SKill > Macc/Acc conversion ratio.
    3) Favour reworking
    i think the biggest rework will be favours, makeing them very potent and pushing SMN towards a buffer/DD hybrid roll. What they will do with favour is prolly:
    - Remove favour pentalty on BP
    - Remove favour build up time and makeing them instantly reach highest potency
    - Remove Perpetuation cost bonus
    - add + to BP timers (most likely in the realm of 10-15 sec~)
    Then they will also rework on some Favours (with 512 smn skill):
    Carbuncle: 50 HP regen potency
    Diabolos: 10 MP refresh potency
    Shiva: 50~ MAB
    Levi favour: enhanced to the same potency as geo-focus (m.acc)
    Fenrir favour: enhanced to the same potency as geo-attunement
    Cait sith favour: ~80 MDB
    Titan's favour: +60% Defense boost
    ifrits and ramuhs potency left untouch, they are in their highest potency allready very potent.

    then they will alter how avatar's favour equipment+ works and make it similar to the corsair rings and dunna handbell/Idris. Most likely the potency of the avatar's favour will be even better then 1 Idris buff, since SMN will be stuck on the avatar and cant switch instantly around (just guessing).

    they prolly want to push out more capable buffer type jobs with very STRONG buffs, but not so flexible like BRD. Giving BRD still a run for buffs.
    Strong buffs buffers but not very flexible:
    GEO + SMN
    inbetween flexibility + strong buffs:
    COR
    Flexible buffs but not so strong buffs:
    BRD

  13. #73
    Campaign
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6,633
    BG Level
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by Damane View Post
    GEO + SMN
    Useful and overpowered buffers

    COR
    somewhat useful buffers + DD

    BRD
    lolbrd
    FTFY

  14. #74
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,779
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    I highly doubt Brd will ever become undesired at any point. While buff for buff their potency on some spells lack, they're still more than capable of changing the dynamics of a party. Dispel/Slow spam aside, capping magic haste with Haste + 2x Marches, followed up by Acc, Scherzo, or Minuets, or whatever combination may be needed is still very powerful. Giving your back line 21 refresh, at no opportunity cost to everyone else in the party, is still game changing. None of the other buffers can do that without giving something up.

    If anything, I'd vote Cor for the lol. That's prolly more-so because I know no good Cors though to be fair. Always see people talking about how good Cor/Dnc is and the support + DD it can bring (and I believe it), but I've never seen it. Days of the Cor mule getting brought along in content seems to of passed, not that their buffs aren't useful/powerful, but there's better use for a party slot. SE just went full retard with Geo tbh. Someone really can just bubble and do nothing else but stand in range in -DT and bring plenty to the table.

  15. #75
    ccl
    ccl is offline
    Old Merits
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,016
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    Thing is, if geo buff weren't OP, we'd have no reason to bring a geo ever.

  16. #76
    Cerberus
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    437
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

    if they do favor right, and the other stuff i can definately see smn becoming a valid party slot in a larger amount of content. smn when summoning is relevent for more than it is now could provide a decent amount of new setups akin to when rdm/geo got their buffs. some people might get their wish with smn, cross your fingers mf's it could be good

  17. #77
    Campaign
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6,633
    BG Level
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by Malithar View Post
    I highly doubt Brd will ever become undesired at any point.
    I was making irony through an hyperbole.
    Even still, there is some truth in my words.
    You guys are comparing the utility of a no-RME GEO, a no-RME SMN (in the scenario Damane posted), a no-RME COR versus a Relic + lv99 Empy BRD.
    It's not the same thing.

    Take Ghorn out of the formula and stick a Terpander in there. BRD still not useless of course, but the scenario becomes slightly different.

  18. #78
    HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    37,884
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

    Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    iirc the dagger was 2nd to Mandau if you could activate the lantent but for tons of jobs that normally didn't get good daggers.
    http://www.bg-wiki.com/images/thumb/...escription.png
    Latent was atk+16 acc+5 iirc

    vs

    http://www.bg-wiki.com/images/thumb/...escription.png

    Blau is better than Titan's in every category possible (other than VIT and most dagger users didnt care about VIT), and it doesnt need someone in the party to leave titan out.



    Proth, the fact you're trying to justify this gear by "this is a good melee smn staff" shows how terrishit is it.

  19. #79
    Campaign
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6,633
    BG Level
    8

    I wouldn't support dagger and staff, but the Couse was BIS for Sam at least. (doubt it was for DRG as well)

  20. #80
    First invited, last in the zone.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,448
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

    No, Orichalcum Lance was always better, and then of course Mezraq got added, and Thalassocrat etc.. (At least I think Leviathan's Couse pre-dates Mezraq...)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Version Update is here!
    By Tahona in forum FFXI: Official News and Information
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: 2010-12-09, 23:38
  2. New Version Update Scheduled for November! (09/24/2009)
    By Miroku_Asura in forum FFXI: Official News and Information
    Replies: 148
    Last Post: 2009-10-03, 11:40